Marple Sixth Form College
Marple Sixth Form College began life as The Willows County Secondary School in 1931, so named because of the willow trees at the front of the building on Hibbert Lane. When it opened there were 179 children and 6 staff.
By 1969 the school had 800 on its roll, and the girls were transferred to the newly built Woodville County secondary School for Girls School on Buxton Lane. In 1974 a new era began for secondary education in the Marple area with the opening of Marple Ridge High School.
Post-16 re-organisation saw the creation of The RidgeCollege in 1989. In 1995 ‘The Ridge’, as the college was popularly known, merged with Margaret Danyers College in Cheadle to become part of Ridge Danyers College. This in turn became Cheadle & Marple Sixth Form College in 2004.
Since 2014 it has been called Marple Sixth Form College and has a student population of over 1,000 from in and around Marple village – an attractive and prosperous conurbation steeped in history and tradition.
The Marple college is spread over two campuses, Buxton Lane and Hibbert Lane, which are only a few minutes apart on foot – and both sites are surrounded by extensive playing fields and open spaces.
Marple Sixth Form offers a wide range of facilities and amenities for learning, recreation and socialising. This includes a large sports hall, a 150 seat theatre and a 50 seat ‘boutique’ cinema. The college also has access to the Ridge Sports Pavilion facilities at the nearby Wood Lane complex.
With wheelchair access, student parking, bike racks and regular buses to and from both campuses the college is frequented by students drawn from across Marple, Stockport, High Peak, New Mills and Glossop.
Marple Sixth Form offers over 40 courses in both academic and vocational disciplines. It also features a Sports Academy and a Careers Academy.
For more information on Marple Sixth Form College, its courses and facilities visit the dedicated college pages here